[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOUR] Terrible twos in piggies

Dr Kay Dudman kdudman at lgu.ac.uk
Tue Jun 21 11:26:51 EDT 2005

Hi Jan and co

I don't think moving the hay is any more serious than play.  I always give
my piggies hay in the hay rack (I have some called "mangers") as well as
on the floor.  Adrian likes nothing better than curling up on his side,
with his little feet out the back, on some fresh hay (well, actually, he
likes cuddling better, but you know what I mean).  Sometimes Adam would
move pieces of hay from one side to another and then eat or use the
new pile as a pillow.  Foraging is a natural piggy pastime, so if there
isn't much on the floor, pulling the hay down makes for more fun.
Another thing my piggies have is "play paper" - just scrunch up a piece of
paper (no coloured ink) and they will sit on it, under it, tunnel through
it, move it around with them.  Adam used to cut up a little tiny piece to
put on top of his food bowl until he was ready for another snack.

So I'd go for creative or thoughtful twos rather than terrible twos!

All piggies are wonderful in their own way.

Best wishes

Kay