[Gpdd] Misc--Jaime's concerns about our letters to officials

DEB GANLEY debg43 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 22:24:05 EDT 2005

I know it's frustrating when these law enforcement officials & judges don't take animal abuse seriously--but it can work--not every time, but we can just do what we can do to protect these little guys.  We had a case in Florida a few years ago--3 drunk teenagers broke into a local farm, very close to my house, & abused 3 pet llamas.  Blinded one, killed one & left the baby motherless.  The public outcry was wonderful--lots of letters going on!  When they caught up with these little you-know-what's, it turned out that one of them was the son of a very prominent law enforcement official--we all figured, forget this, he's going to get off.  BUT--in the course of the investigation, it turned out that the same "kids" (they're not kids--just sicko's & murderers) had taken a trip to Michigan from Florida, bought a piggie from a pet store out there, shut it in a hotel room & shot it repeatedly with a BB gun, killing it.  They were wanted on that warrant, which was included in the llama case & justice prevailed--the sheriff's kid got 5 years in jail, the other's got the book thrown at them also.  I forget the details, it was quite a few years ago--but they're still out of commission.  So, yes--I feel sometimes that letters don't do anything--but you never know.  Your letter may just be the one to put a judge's decision over the edge & make a difference.  It's a 37c stamp on an envelope  or an email,  & 10 minutes of your time--I think it's well worth it for any animal--we're their voices.    Deb, Potter, Molly & Emma