[Gpdd] [CARE] Sick Ginny =(

Lydia G Boland lydiagboland at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 30 01:05:03 EDT 2005

Well we've been busy here in the Boland household.  Poor Ginny has been
sick for almost two weeks.  At first we thought it was stasis so my mom
(who was visiting) went with me to take Ginny to the vet on 6/20.  She
was diagnosed with stasis which is what we though it was too.  So we
treated her for stasis for a week but she didn't improve.  My mom takes
being a grandma seriously and helped me give Ginny sub-q fluids and
medications.  Well my mom flew home on Monday this week and Ginny and I
went back to the vet for further diagnosis.  They did x-rays to see if
there was a blockage (there wasn't) and put her under anesthesia for an
oral exam.  Well apparently her front teeth were not meeting up and her
jaw was not in place.  So her jaw was popped back in place and and her
teeth were filed down.  The back teeth were fine, no points on the
molars and not overgrown.  But she still isn't back to her old self.  I
talked to the senior vet at the clinic and unfortunately he wasn't able
to get her in.  He tried to change other clients around and stuff but
was not able to in the end.  I appreciate that he tried.  So I will
continue to syringe her water and if need be food, but she is eating
some hay and pellets.  She wants to eat her veggies but can't and when
I cut them up for her she won't give them a second look.  I also have
given her some oral vitamin C and pain medication.  The stasis is of
course secondary to something else but we're not sure what now.  I'm
bringing her in on Friday to have her rechecked and then on Tuesday the
senior vet will look at her since he is not in the office tomorrow
(Thurs) until Tuesday.
I've put together a C&C pen so Ginny and Satchel can stay in our
bedroom.  Ginny was staying in a nice sized cage, the one she came to
us in, but I think she was starting to feel cooped up and I don't know
if being in the cage was making her depressed.  Now she has a cuddle
cup, 2 pigloos and a litter box and enough space for Satchel to join
her and keep her company.
On top of Ginny being sick our cat Ida's Megacolon flared up so we've
been giving her fluids, meds and enemas (such fun!).  My poor mom is
back home but in the ER getting fluids as she is sick and dehydrated.
Luckily my sister lives near her and was able to take her there.
I was finally able to catch up on digest but have not been able to send
everyone condolences.  I am really sorry for all of you who have had
piggies pass on.  We are really sad for you and hope that you will be
able to find some comfort soon.
I hope that Ginny is well recovered by the time our So. Cal Pignic
rolls around on July 17 so that she, Satchel, Dan and I can attend.
I'm currently working on Ginny's image to add to my tattoo with my
tattoo artist.  Poor slave Dan is run down, as am I, but he has to go
to work and they have been really busy there.  This weekend we are
staying in and ordering sushi =), at least for one night.  Dan works on
Independence Day so it will hopefully be a quiet weekend for us.  We're
hoping that Ida recovers quickly and that Ginny gets back to normal
too.  It's too much for such a small little piggy who is now petite
instead of pleasantly plump.
I hope everyone has a nice holiday weekend and that people and piggies
alike stay healthy.

Take care,

Lydia