[Gpdd] SILLY - Bud's worst enemy

ROYCE LARSON COTTON_COWBOYS at msn.com
Sat Mar 5 10:21:14 EST 2005

     I don't know if this is just a local news item or if it has made it farther afield but our area in northern Minnesota has had a HUGE owl invasion this winter. Naturalists have said that it is the result of a wet summer in Canada last year leading to a decrease in the vole population (which the owls eat). Over the last two months I've had a barred owl coming at dusk many days to sit in my bird feeder tree and my husband and I have seen him swoop down, catch and eat several shrews. (He is welcome to eat as many of these as he wants! They are NOT welcome guests in my home!!!) He seems to leave the birds alone and they are probably too fast for him.
     I have taken several pictures of him and it has been fun to watch. I like to tease Bud that his WORST ENEMY is camped outside just waiting for him to come out and play!  :)  Needless to say, Bud doesn't think much of my sense of humor.  :)

Carla and Nervous Bud