[Gpdd] MISC: Tractor Supply pigs

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 01:34:53 EST 2005

Hi all,

I went back to that Tractor Supply Company in which I had found they were selling guinea pigs and these poor little guys were in rabbit cages. There were no guinea pigs left when I went back but they had never taken them out of the rabbit hutches. They put a 4" by 6" piece of cardboard on the metal grid for them to rest on. All the pigs were nearly adult boars and would not have been able to all cram themselves onto one piece of cardboard. I am happy that they are out of the store but then again I am terrified for them because TSC does not sell guinea pig cages. So I keep wondering if those little guys are still living in rabbit cages because "that was what the store had them in."

I talked to a manager and he seemed apathetic about the situation. I also noticed he had both male and female rabbits in together. When I asked him about that he said "well, if we put all the boys in one cage they constantly rape each other." That is a direct quote. So I told him that pretty much you can guarantee all the females were pregnant and people who bought one rabbit could end up with ten or more and asked him what then? He said he didn't have the room to separate them all. So I told him maybe he shouldn't sell them at all then. Or maybe if he didn't try and cram ten rabbits in a single hutch, maybe they wouldn't "rape" each other all the time.

I went to TSCs website, www.mytscstore.com, and posted a very lengthy letter about the whole situation to the corporate office. I am going to call the ASPCA and the Humane Society on Monday. I don't know if they can do anything or not at least about the pigs since they are gone, but at least they will know about it. I am just so mad over the entire situation and cannot understand why people like that manager give me this funny look like I am daft when I try and explain what is wrong with the situation. I am just scared for those pigs and what their lives are like now and hope that people who know and love guinea pigs found them and they are happy and healthy. I gave all of my pigs in my rescue an extra hug and kiss tonight, thankful that I am at least helping them and keeping them safe until their new slaves take them home.

Please love your piggies just a little extra tonight and say a little prayer for all the piggies out there, anywhere, that are not as fortunate or are victims of ignorance like the TSC pigs.

Be well,
Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks
March is Adopt-a-rescued-guinea-pig month