[Gpdd] SILLY- Voles

anifair anifair at comcast.net
Tue Mar 8 10:34:32 EST 2005

Hi Carla,
You mentioned voles in your post about the owl invasion. Years ago, after we
moved to the burbs, we had one of those stick-on-the-window bird feeders at
our kitchen window. The birds would leave lots of debris on the ground after
feeding, and tiny, tiny creatures that I (a city girl) had never seen before
would emerge from the edge of the lawn to collect the leftovers. You could
even see the long tracks that they made in the grass on their journey to the
patio. I did a little bit of research and discovered that they were meadow
voles, and most people consider them pests. I, however, thought they were
the cutest things I had ever seen!  Dark grey, larger than a mouse, shorter
tail than a mouse, and the SWEETEST little faces! Whole families would
appear, even the kids. I loved them. We haven't seen them since. I would
like to put up one of those feeders again just to try to bring them back. If
we can have all other kinds of rodents as pets, why not voles?
Anyhow, keep Bud away from the window!
Anita