[Gpdd] (Misc) Excuses for getting piggies

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 21:16:55 EST 2005

My husband and I got Gizmo right before we were
married because I had guinea pigs before I joined the
Navy, and I missed having one (I had lived in the
barracks for almost 3 years and pets weren't allowed).
He had never been around pigs before so I wanted to
show him how great they are...

We got Max to be a buddy for Gizmo ("Gizmo is
LONELY"...), but they were mortal enemies immediately
so we had to separate them...

We got Felix and Oscar because they were these tiny
babies in a cage of big rabbits, and I needed to get
them away from the rabbits. Plus, they were Rex's and
remined me of my dear Cosmo (one of my pre-Navy
pigs)...

We got Serendipity because she was weak and tiny, and
was getting stampeded by the bigger pigs. She couldn't
get to the food bowl or the water bottle. I fed her by
moistening individual pellets and letting her eat them
and let her drink vitamin C-laced water out of a
teaspoon. She was also pregnant (unbeknownst to me),
and only about 4 weeks old, but the baby was
stillborn...

Maxine and Teddy were given to us by a friend who was
leaving Hawaii and didn't want to bring them with
her--never mind that I shipped 6 pigs from Hawaii...

I got Willie while I was at a Navy school in Texas (I
was lonely). He kept me company on the drive from
Texas to Maryland...

We got Pinkerton to be a buddy for Oscar, as Oscar's
brother Felix died before they came from Hawaii. Oscar
seemed very depressed. They didn't get along very
well, though...

I got Tigger from the group of Maryland rescue
piggies. While I was helping clean cages I noticed
that she was missing her back left leg. I figured no
one else would want to adopt a 3-legged piggie, so I
had to take her, natch...

I got Jasper the same time as Tigger. I hadn't
intended on bringing home 2 piggies, but Judi (of MGPR
fame : ) ) was looking at him and said "I think
there's something else wrong with him. I don't think
he's  adoptable"--he had lost almost all his hair and
was having seizures due to mites. He also had these
funny bulgy eyes.  And well, I 'just so happened' to
have brought a second carrier with me....

Then there's Scooter. Another Tri-County piggy. I was
cleaning cages and Roberta asked me to look at this
little pig. She said they had adopted his mama and the
new owners were just waiting for the baby to be weaned
before they took her. "Nobody wants the baby". Well,
sucker that I am, OF COURSE I  had to take him, I
mean, poor baby--3 weeks old and without his mama...

Those are my reasons, and I'm sticking to 'em!

-Stacy and the fully justified Squee Squad