[Gpdd] (HEALTH): Question about skin condition

Stacy Smith smts37 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 12 00:55:02 EST 2005

I have two, 8 month-old guinea pigs.  They have just
recently developed dry, flaking skin.  They also shed
a lot, but I'm not sure if it is due to the dry skin,
or being winter, etc.  For example, we use a towel to
hold them with during cuddle time and the towel is
covered in hair afterwards.

Both guineas have been treated for lice with
Revolution when they were two months old.  The lice
went away and their coat looked very healthy.  Could
the Revolution have caused them to have chronic dry
skin?  Or is it due to using our heater for winter? (I
am also suffering from dry skin myself, so I thought
that may be the case for the gp's also).

Anyway, I was wondering if dry skin is something they
should go to their vet for.  They do not have any bald
patches or lumps, but do shed a great deal.  My
husband and I have bathed them twice in Nizoral
shampoo for dandruff, but it hasn't helped.  I hate to
take them to the vet b/c they get so stressed, but if
they need to go then we will take them.  I would
really appreciate your opinion.  I love the digest and
have learned so much from everyone! :)

Sincerely,
Stacy, mommy to Jasper and Kieran