[Gpdd] [Health] Flu/Strep Answers

Britt and Brownie Lindahl Crazy4Cavy at buckeye-express.com
Mon Mar 14 18:44:21 EST 2005

I thought I'd share with some personal messages that were sent to me as far
as the flu/strep/cold issue:

- Several people say that we're able to pass them onto our beloved piggies
while a few others say they're species specific..

Brownie "Pumpkin Pig" seems fine.. Popcorning and being rowdy as normal.  I
can't wait to annoy the living begeezus out of him by holding him for a few
minutes.. He likes being in his cage to run around in circles.. I get about
5 minutes of lap time before he's done.  What's a piggie momma without her
piggie cuddles and piggie kisses??  Hubby to be and I finally kissed each
other yesterday too.. Of course I've not done that with my BPP cause I worry
about him.. Hubby to be will get over any cold/flu better than my BPP..

Tex sent me a helpful list of things to do while you're sick in order to
take care of your piggies without getting them ill:

1. Wear a surgical face mask when doing *any* piggie chores.
2. Wash your hands with antibacterial soap before, during and after piggie
chores. (Also get a bottle of the "waterless hand disinfectant" to have in
the piggies' room for quick use). If you rub your nose or eyes, etc.:
disinfect your hands.
3. Try and stay away from the cages; if they are in your main living area,
perhaps relocate them to a less-trafficked one until you get well.
4. If you *really* want to go "whole hog", get an air purifier that will
filter out pathogens (not sure it will filter viruses; you'd need to do
some research) and keep it in the piggies' room.

I will be investing in some of those surgical masks to have on hand.. I
think that's definately a good idea!! It's also a good idea to have another
piggie person around to help you with piggie chores when you're sick.. but
if that's not happening.. like me.. you've gotta still take care of your
little bugger.. But keep them safe! :)

Oh.. And Brownie "Pumpkin Pig's" GirlPig made this comment:

Brownie Bear says, "Brownie 'Pumpkin Pig'
Baby, if ya'll lived closer, I would
have my Mommy Slave go to your Mommy
Slave's house and pick you up and bring
you to me. And don't worry, Butterscotch
sleeps in my Slaves' room all night, so
you know what that means..."

Ohh Brother.. did that get him all popcorning and wheeking.. He says, "Baby
Brownie Bear.. Comon up to Ohio.. We'll stay here or go to Virginia..
whatever floats your boat baby.. I'm with ya and am up for "You know what
that means" ANYTIME!"

Piggie Hugs and Kisses,
Britt & Brownie "Pumpkin Pig"

Remembering at the Rainbow Bridge:
Oreo (4/26/00 - 9/15/02), Jo-Jo (1/24/99 - 5/17/00) and Rumble (1/24/99 -
12/31/00)..
My "Angel Piggies"

"A friend is someone who believes in you when you have ceased to believe in
yourself."