[Gpdd] MISC: pet stores

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 15 18:36:11 EST 2005

Good afternoon fellow piggie slaves!

I am new to the GPDD and have only written one time (I'm kinda shy), but I
wanted to share an experience that I had with a local pet store. I often
shopped for supplies for my piggies at this store, and also bought several
of my piggie friends there. On this particular day I noticed a little guinea
pig sitting hunched up in a corner who was obviously in need of some extra
care. I mentioned to a sales person that I thought the little guy might be
sick and asked him what the store policy was in dealing with sick animals.
He told me that the sick animals were kept in cages in another room until
they could be sent back to the place where they came from, which in this
case was out of state. I asked him if they ever had a vet to come out and
see the sick ones. He replied that they did not. I then stated that I
thought this little guy needed some extra attention, to which he rather
indignantly replied that if there was one thing that they got it was
attention. I explained that I wasn't trying to say that they didn't get
proper care, but that this particular little one was in need of veterinary
attention and that without it he could possibly die. Well, I guess he
thought that I was some kind of a kook or troublemaker because he eventually
just brushed me off and went on about his business. After speaking to at
least two other employees, and hearing basically the same story from each,
none of which offered any hope of the poor little guy getting the help that
he needed, I decided to buy him. I spent three days syringe feeding him
around the clock until our vet could see him. Luckily, with medication and
lots of TLC, he recovered. We placed him with one of our older males and
they became good friends. He made the cutest little booping noises which
kind of reminded us of some of the sounds that Curly of the Three Stooges
made, so we named him Curly. For about six months he did well, even though
he remained tiny,weighing only one pound. Then he got sick again. Somehow he
had injured his eye, which never really got better, even though our vet gave
us antibiotic ointment to put in it. His health just went downhill slowly
but surely. He would sit hunched up in a corner most of the time. One
morning he just seemed to be gasping, and so I rushed him over to the vet's
office, thinking that there probably wasn't anything that could be done for
him. Surprisingly, his lungs were not terribly congested, and our vet
thought that he would be fine after a round of antibiotics. For another
month he struggled to get well; he was still eating and drinking, so I had
hope. Then one morning I found that he couldn't stand up without staggering
around as though he were dizzy. I watched, horrified, as he had convulsions.
We never found out what was wrong with him. Nothing else that we tried to do
to get him better worked. He allowed me to syringe feed him for about three
weeks. As long as he seemed to be trying, I didn't want to give up. He
finally got so thin and weak that I felt guilty for forcing him to eat and
drink. He finally stopped accepting any kind of nourishment, and then I knew
it was time to let go. For eight months he was part of our family and we
loved him dearly. He was such a brave little fellow. I went back to the pet
store several times after that and saw more little guinea pigs that had
crusty eyes and noses. I can no longer go in there because each time I see a
sick little one I want to bring it home. It is heartbreaking the way these
helpless animals are shipped into these stores. Those little babies have to
be really strong to withstand the stress. I was told that some of them don't
even survive the trip.
It is so sad. Well, this has gotten a bit long-winded, but I have to applaud
those who go on piggie patrol to their local pet stores. I just wonder how
many other people have purchased a sick, stressed out little piggie from one
of these stores, only to have the same heartbreaking experience that we had
with Curly.

Best wishes to all,

Sherry and piggie friends ( Pepper, Cinnamon, Sweetheart, Ivory,Cocoa, CJ,
Lucky, Wimpy. Flick, Fluffy,Ginger,Newbie, Mr.T, Stripe, and Merry)