[Gpdd] Health: eye problems

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:11:32 EST 2005

Hi Mary Ellen,

My piggie friend Newbie has the same eye condition that you have described.
We also were given ointment to put in her eye, but it hasn't really helped,
although she no longer has the tearing that she once did. I am keeping watch
to make sure that the skin, or eye membrane, ( I'm not sure what it is
called) doesn't get any bigger. If it doesn't, then I won't consider putting
her through the ordeal of having eye surgery. She doesn't seem to be
uncomfortable; I haven't noticed her rubbing her eye or trying to scratch
it, so I'm leaving well enough alone for now. She is one of my more easily
stressed piggies, especially when we visit the vet, so I am taking that into
consideration as well. Our vet has mentioned several times that guinea pigs
are not good candidates for surgery because they are easily frightened and
difficult to sustain under anesthesia. I hope that this helps...please let
me know if you find a surgery-free solution.

Our best to you,

Sherry and her piggie friends