[Gpdd] [announcement] Lambo, our precious little boy

Michael Tanaka mtanaka at hawaii.edu
Fri Mar 18 23:52:07 EST 2005

In January 2004, we lost our beloved K. C.  I became so depressed and
despondent.  We visited the Humane Society, but they either didn't have
guinea pigs or they were 'just' adopted (that day).  Pet stores didn't have
any guinea pigs.  I saw one at a pet store, but while I walked around the
mall thinking about it, someone else bought him.  A rescue we know of didn't
have any.  I had gotten very severely depressed and physically ill by May
2004.  As I remained home, Michael went to pick up dinner.  En route was a
pet store, he popped in, came back home and told me that they had piggies
there.  The next day, we went and I looked at the four white gp babies.  I
inspected one but didn't 'feel' anything.  Picked up the other male and felt
'a little something.'  So we brought him home.  I hadn't had a piggie for
four months so I was a little 'out of it.'  But I quickly adjusted and Lambo
became the love of my life.  I truly believe he saved my life.  I was so
severely depressed, so sinking downhill, bad thing after bad thing kept
happening, that I didn't feel like living anymore.  But I had Lambo.  He was
about a month old when we got him.

Then this morning, he was his usual spunky self, ate all his breakfast.  We
went into town (Michael works in town and I'm not working right now) so
Michael dropped me off at the mall while Lambo was in his box under
Michael's desk.  Michael had a busy morning and was unable to look in on
him.  When he picked me up for lunch, Lambo was lying limp in his box.  It's
like he was gulping to breathe.  I held him and told him, 'I love you Lambo'
and kept kissing him.  I repeatedly did so.  We thought he might have gas,
so we rushed to the store to get simethicone.  As soon as we gave him a
small dose, he stopped breathing.

When we thought he might be gassy, we gently massaged his tummy and normal
poops came out.  He had also been peeing normally as far as we can tell.  He
was barely eleven months old!!!  Still a little baby!!

Nothing makes sense.  I keep wondering what I did wrong.  Did I feed him
something wrong?  Did I put 'poison' into his environment without knowing
it?  What did I do wrong that my little baby is now gone????  I guess I'm
still in shock for nothing makes sense.  We have him lying on his blanket
bed that he loves so much.  I won't see that adorable little face looking up
at me as I pet him, won't hear his little wheek for his food, his little
grumblings that warmed my heart.

Usually, before feeding him his next fresh food meal, I would pick up the
remains from his last meal.  He'd follow my hand around his pen while I
picked up, usually, bits of romaine, grumbling the whole time as if to say,
'Hey! I was going to eat that later!'  One time, he put both his front paws
onto my hand to stop me from picking up his food remnants.  Believe me, my
heart melted!

Why 'Lambo'?  Because he looked like a little sheep when we got him, we kept
trying to think of 'sheep' names but as my mom pointed out, 'He's a baby!
He's not a 'sheep', he's a 'lamb'.'  Then I thought of 'Little BO peep' and
put the two together for 'Lamb' plus 'Bo' so we came up with Lambo.  He
rejected quite a few names, but seemed quite content with 'Lambo.'

I love Lambo so much, I just can't say 'goodbye'.  He saved my life and yet
I couldn't do the same for him.

I was 'without a baby' last mother's day, so it was the first time in years
that I wasn't a mother.  I was looking forward to this mother's day, being
that I had my little boy, Lambo.  Not anymore.

Lambo, you will forever be in our hearts.  We will miss you more than you'll
ever know.  I love you, Lambo, and will always love you with all my heart.

Love, mommy (Corrine) and daddy (Michael)