[Gpdd] HEALTH: Fatal case of mites and TSC

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 12:25:29 EST 2005

Hi all,

I have been thinking about little Gracie and want to extend my condolences. As I have been thinking, I did some research and it IS possible to have to put a piggy to sleep for having mites. All pigs (dogs, people, cats) have mites living on their skin, but generally they are in small numbers and are not bothered by them. When we start to see lots of them and we see the itching and the hair loss is when the little piggy's immune system is compromised for whatever reason. Our own immune systems go through cycles of being strong and then weaker and then strong again and pigs are the same way. But if a piggy has an actual immune system deficiency or disorder, then mites (aka, mange) can take over and all the drugs in the world will not be able to get rid of them sufficiently to make the piggy comfortable and the only humane thing to do would be to euthanize the little guy (or girl in this case).

I saw a lot of responses about Gracie and her vet but I don't think it is warranted to say Gracie needed a new vet. When most of our little guys get mites, it is pretty easy to fix them up. Some just aren't up to that sort of thing though and I think Gracie might have been one of them, bless her little heart.

On a different topic, TSC never contacted me back even after I sent them another email and so I have given up. I can find my pine shavings and Woody Pet at a local feed store and not contribute to a large chain who doesn't care about the animals it houses or the customers it serves. I am still quite angry with them, but I have done all I could do.

Be well,

Lisa and the gang at Wheeks and Squeaks
www.wheeksandsqueaks.petfinder.com