[Gpdd] (Health) Tooth Problems and Syringe Feeding

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 17:28:23 EST 2005

Hi all-
I had to take Max to the vet today for tooth problems.
Night before last I noticed that he couldn't take a
carrot out of my hands, so I looked at his teeth and
saw that one top incisor seemed longer than the other.
I made a vet apoinment ASAP, of course. Then, last
night, I looked at his teeth and the one incisor was
bent completely back into his mouth! I tried to remove
it, but was afraid that it would go down his throat
and choke him. We got to the vet's office and as the
Dr. was examining him, I noticed that the other
incisor had broken in half! The vet filed the
remaining top tooth smooth and shortened the bottom
ones.
Max seems to be doing okay; he got sub-cu fluids and a
shot of Metacam and he is trying to eat on his own (I
gave him some Critical Care, but he wasn't too
thrilled about being syring fed). He has had broken
teeth in the past, but not this bad...has anyone else
had this problem or does anyone know what causes it?
Max is 4 1/2 years old now, so could age be a factor?
He was not dropped, nor does he have anything in his
pen that he could have jumped off of.
I don't want to lose my little guy after having lost
Gizmo just four months ago--and Max is my husband's
favorite--he's a  Daddy's boy...

One more thing--does anyone have an effective method
for syringe feeding? I've never had to do it before,
and I feel bad that I'm just learning how when one of
my babies needs it.

Stacy and the Squee Squad