[Gpdd] Health:Tooth Problems and Syringe Feeding

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 26 14:42:50 EST 2005

Hi Stacy,

Our Newbie has the same sort of problem with her incisors...one of the
uppers is longer than the other and her lowers came out completely. We just
have to keep having them trimmed back until they all grow to the lenghth
that they should be. This is taking quite a while, too, because they don't
seem to be growing in at the same rate...one of the upper incisors keeps
wanting to curl back into her mouth, instead of growing in straight. I have
read that this can be an inherited trait, or that a lack of vitamin C can
cause the teeth to become loose. Newbie is also an older pig...she will be
four years old in a few months. I have often wondered, too, if this could be
age related, but I have other piggie friends who are older than Newbie and
have had no problems at all. Her molars seem to be alright, because she
still eats well...I just have to chop up her carrots and apple for her. She
still eats plenty of pellets, and hasn't lost any weight.
When I have had to syringe feed one of my piggies, I use a 1cc syringe for
the more liquid items, such as juice, baby food, or water. They seem to like
the smaller size syringe better than the 3cc and larger sizes which I use
for the thicker foods, such as Critical Care and mixtures containing ground
piggie pellets. I insert the tip of the syringe into the area of the mouth
behind the front teeth and a little to the back. I give them a few drops at
a time, making sure that they are chewing and swallowing after each
insertion. This has worked for us. Sometimes they tug on the syringe, which
I have interpreted to mean that they want more food faster. Some of my
piggies have been real gulpers!
I hope that your piggie's tooth problem will soon be resolved. We'll be
praying for him...

Best Wishes,

Sherry and the Piggie Pals