[Gpdd] HEALTH: Mollie's Bladder Stones

Candy G. crawdad1953 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 02:34:47 EST 2005

Well, I just wrote a whole long message and was finishing the last sentence
and lost it.
It is not showing as having been sent, so I will try again and just hope
that I am not
jamming the list twice in one day.

Sherry, thank you so much for your quick reply and for the information that
you gave me.
To answer your questions, yes, there were x-rays taken before and after
Mollie's first stones
were flushed.  The stones were very visible in the 'before' x-rays; nothing
showed up in the
'after' x-rays.  No stones showed up in her bladder either time - just in
her ureter.  Because
of the severe bladder infection - three different bacteria strains cultured
out - she was seen
by the vet every one to two weeks for about ten weeks.  After one full week
of clear urine
with no visible blood, he did another urinalysis.  No bacteria were present,
but it still showed
blood cells.  He said that there might be a 'hidden' stone that we didn't
see and the only
thing we could do was to just wait and see if she started showing symptoms
again.  She has
not shown any sympptoms at all in the past four weeks until Friday.  I hope
that covers all
the things you were wondering about.

I absolutely credit this vet with saving Mollie's life.  He is NOT an exotic
vet and is not very
familiar with GP's.  I don't believe that many folks in this area would have
gone so far out of their 'familiar' territory for a little piggie, but he
stuck with it and researched it and made
phone calls, etc, about meds and the mammary tumor and the stones.  He did a
WONDERFUL
job.  However, he is not well versed in the day-to-day care and maintainance
of GP's.  He
doesn't think they should have pellets - I do.  He thinks that they have to
be anesthetized to
do a dental check - I don't.  He didn't send the stones in for analysis
because he said that
there is just not enough research on GP bladder stones for that info to have
helped us in any
way - I know that is incorrect.  It makes a difference in treatment and
life-span if they are bacterially based as opposed to calcium based.  So, I
was a little uncomfortable about him
being able to provide me with the info I wanted in order to make sure I was
doing the right
things for Topper and, especially, Mollie in their regular daily lives.

Therefore, last week I made an appointment with their original vet (two
hours from us
one-way) to just take them in for a 'general well piggy' check.  She IS an
exotic vet and has treated hundreds of wee piggies.  She is well known and
highly recommended throughout our region.  I trust her completely and knew
that she could give me some good guidance on diet,
etc. for them.  Between the time I put them in the carrier and the time we
got there, Mollie started peeing blood.  The vet x-rayed her and we could
see the stone in her bladder.  I was
so shocked and worried that I didn't even think to tell the vet about the
other vet's theory
that there might have been a hidden 'leftover' stone from the first time
around.  I will be
speaking with her on Monday and will mention that to her first thing.

I definitely haven't given up on Mollie.  Later the night that I wrote the
other GRDD entry, I decided that I owed it to Mollie to offer her every
chance to get well and get back to her
healthier self so that she can continue her life with her beloved Topper.  I
decided that
we would go ahead with the surgery.  If there is a chance that this is a
leftover stone, then
she may not have further stones and that would be wonderful!  If she gets
another stone
in just a few weeks, then that gives us very important information that is
essential to making
future decisions for her as far as her moving into a cycle of continued pain
and suffering with bladder stones versus repeated surgeries also filled with
pain and suffering.

Please, anyone in the digest that can give me ANY information about diet,
what fresh veggies to stay away from due to high calcium content, herbs, etc
- just anything that you can think of that might help me do the best I can
for Mollie, please let me know.  These are the only two piggies I have ever
had and I want to keep learning all I can to keep them healthy and happy.
And thanks again Sherry for your input.

I know this is another long post.  I am not used to writing in digest form.
Please bear with me this one last time.  I will improve, I promise.

Candy, Topper and Mollie