[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] GI Joe has crossed the bridge

DL1Bossfan at aol.com DL1Bossfan at aol.com
Sun Mar 27 23:20:59 EST 2005

Dear Friends:
It is with great sadness that I must tell you that my sweet little GI Joe
died tonight.  I am not sure what the cause was, but I suspect heart  problems.
I have told several of you that he has not been a real healthy  piggy since I
got him from the pound last year.  He wheezed and sneezed -  but that would
come and go.  I changed bedding to sheets and blankets and  that helped a great
deal.  In January he went through 2 rounds of Baytril  and chlorhexidine
soaks twice a day for Bumblefoot.  That seemed to take  care of the problem and
the foot cleared.  About 3 weeks ago I started  observing a rather strange
behavior in him.  He would perch on his food  bowl for 2 to 3 hours at a time
dozing on and off.  Suzie and the Okie  piggies sent him a beautiful Valentine that
I had attached to his cage.   One night he sat with two feet in his dish and
stared at that Valentine for 3  hours!  I thought he was mesmerized by it, but
looking back I am wondering  if the sudden dozing on and off (kind of a
narcolepsy thing) had something to do  with an underlying heart problem.  On Friday
- I noticed that the foot was  beginning to flare up again, so I started him
back on the soaks.  He seemed  fine all day Saturday.  This morning before I
left for church, I fed all  three boys (he is in a cage by himself) - but when
I returned from church, his  dish was still full.  He managed to eat a little
throughout the day.   This afternoon I went to my folks (they are only a mile
away) - and took him  with me so I could be with him and keep an eye on him.
I held and cuddled  him and he did not seem well, but at the same time, he did
not appear to be in  pain.  I left at 8 p.m. - and by the time I got him into
the house (8:10) -  he had died.  I had e-mailed my vet earlier this morning
to tell him we  would be there first thing tomarrow morning.  He will also be
sad - he was  very fond of GI Joe.  Please keep us in your thoughts.  He was
so  special and sweet and I love him very much.  At least (I feel) he knew
that.
Donna (Tom and Huck)