[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR - rumblestrutting

Andrew a.mills at portset.net
Tue Mar 29 14:03:58 EST 2005

With regard to whether or not females rumblestrut, yes, they do, although not as frequently as males do it.  Females will do it to each other sometimes when they are trying to show their dominance over another guinea pig.  I've often seen very young females doing it, probably for the same reason.  They look really funny, wiggling their little bottoms and rumbling away as they run around.  As they get older they seem to do it less than the males but will still sometimes do it when they want to show who's boss.  Males, on the other hand, seem to do it every chance they get.  They do it at each other, at females and sometimes even when you're handling them.  So, although it's mostly a male thing, it's not exclusively a male thing.  Several of my males are expert rumblestrutters and always seem to be at it.  The funny thing I find is listening to all the different pitches.  My big black and white male has a very low rumble whilst my younger boys have a higher, faster rumble.  It!
 always makes me laugh when you either get a very small pig who has a low rumble (which makes him sound bigger and stronger than he actually is) or sometimes you get a big male with a high rumble (which makes him sound younger or smaller than he is).    Has anyone else noticed this?  I can't say I would be able to tell my guinea pigs apart by the noises they make, but they certainly do vary slightly from one pig to another.