[Gpdd] Breeding: Pregnant foster piggie

Chris Boortz chris.boortz at cox.net
Tue Mar 29 17:50:27 EST 2005

I just became "foster mom" to a guinea pig. (I already have 2 of my
own.) She was relinquished at the local Humane Society where I
volunteer and they suspect she is pregnant. Since they do not adopt out
pregnant - or possibly pregnant - piggies, they needed a temporary home
for her. I will take her back in 2 weeks for an ultrasound to find out
for sure if she is pregnant.

I have already ordered Oxbow's Cavy Performance pellets and Alfalfa
Nibbles, just to make sure I have them on hand if she is pregnant. Does
anyone have any other advice on what I can do to try to ensure a
healthy and successful pregnancy for this little one? And specifically,
I am concerned about her being 1 year old and this just being her first
litter. I read that if a pig doesn't have her first litter by about 8
months of age her pelvis often will not spread enough to allow for
delivery of the babies. Any experiences with that?

Thanks,
Chris and "Apple Sauce" (No, I didn't pick the name!)