[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] separating the herd

lisa.sharpcrew.com lisa at sharpcrew.com
Thu Mar 31 12:51:30 EST 2005

Things were going so well...my two girls are spayed and they put up with
Ozzy for the most part, giving an occasional nip when he got too fresh.

Last week I noticed Zoe not coming out for buffet (she was hiding in her
tent) and she didn't wheek when the pellets were brought out-I was very
worried.  I weighed her and she was down a bit, which we all know every
little gram counts!  And not knowing her full history since she was a
rescue, I decided to keep an extra close eye on her.  I checked her teeth-no
problems there.  She was brought downstairs for a private feeding.  She ate
like, well...a pig!  Hmmmm.

I separated her from Oz and Fuzzy while I cleaned the room.  At one point
her and Ozzy were together while I vacuumed and no problems.  Then I let
Ozzy free and put Fuzzy in with her for a minute.  Fuzzy chased her into the
pigloo and took a chunk of fur out of her!  I separated them immediately.  I
decided to keep Fuzzy by herself and Ozzy and Zoe together.  Every now and
then I try to reunite the herd but Zoe is so fearful of Fuzzy now she runs
willy nilly.  I'm just going to have to keep Fuzzy alone.

Why would a pig do that suddenly?  Zoe and Ozzy are so cute together,
sleeping in the same tent, following each other around... but now I feel bad
for Fuzzy...
I know she pines for Wilson but to attack her friends is just wrong!

Since the separation Zoe has regained her weight and is her normal piggie
self again.  Fuzzy doesn't seem to mind being separated-she can still
interact through the cage with Ozzy (who thinks HE's the one in the cage and
constantly tries to pry it open!).  Zoe steers clear of Fuzzy's apartment if
she sees her nearby.  I take Fuzzy out for floor time but make sure Zoe is
in a separate habitat so she isn't traumitized.

Ahhh...the trials and tribulations of loving the piggies!

Lisa
www.zzz3.blinkz.com