[Gpdd] Behavior: Decoding Bonding Vocalizations

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 31 17:00:14 EST 2005

Hi there,

You will be able to tell immediately that I'm new to
the wonderful world of guinea pigs, but...

I just adopted a second girl piggie because my first
guinea pig Daphne seemed lonely.  So far they have
never met nose to nose, only interacting when one is
having floor time and the other is in her cage.  They
do sniff noses through the cage wire (they both have
NIC cages) and neither has actually tried to bite the
other; they do make a sort of whirring sound at each
other, but from what I've read so far, I can't tell
whether this is "rumblestrutting", purring or
growling.  Can anyone give me a more specific
description of the difference in these sounds, or the
body language that would accompany them?  I don't want
to inadvertently cause trouble between them by
misinterpreting what is going on.
Daphne is a very friendly, generally laid-back girl,
while the new one, Guinivere, is pretty feisty and
excitable. (Mind you, Guin has only been here a week
so she may be still settling in, I guess.)
We would all greatly appreciate any help you more
experienced piggie people can offer...

                                        Pat S.