[Gpdd] CARE - grass

ROYCE LARSON cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Thu May 5 15:07:49 EDT 2005

Hi,

     Bud's and my anniversary is coming up on May 15th. I will have been his proud owner for one whole year! When I first got him I relied on care information that I had gotten from a couple books (bookstore type books - not expert advise from Peter Gurney and others). I didn't realize the importance of having hay always available for him but I did remember that when I had a guinea pig as a girl, she LOVED grass. For that reason I was out cutting grass for Bud twice a day and he pretty much had grass available instead of hay 24-7. He also got pellets and fruit and veggies so he wasn't deprived. By the time the grass was done for the season, I knew about hay so we were all set.
     My questions are these - Can guinea pigs thrive on just grass, veggies and pellets during the summer? Is there such a thing as too much grass? It makes sense to me that grass instead of hay is fine since hay is just dried grass but I'd like a little expert help. I plan to keep hay available to Bud at all times but he barely eats any now. Does grass contribute to sludge or bladder problems? I mean grass itself and not such extras as dandelion greens. I hope grass is fine because it would seem to me to save money and certainly be a nice seasonal change from hay and I like to give Bud lots of variety.

Carla and 'Grassy Breath' Bud