[Gpdd] Health: Questions about safety of pets

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 7 11:56:47 EDT 2005

Carla-
I knew this was going to become a hot topic. We can help the situation
by a little education, and spreading the truth. We know our little guys
aren't dangerous - it just takes some common sense.
Here's what a good friend who has worked with numerous varieties
of animals professionally for many years says:
"Here's the deal - try to educate the panicked.
First, suggest a fecal check by a vet for ANY animal kept around children.
Second, use proper cleaning methods, including at least weekly bleach
water cleaning of cages, bowls, and water bottles.
Third, discourage empirical antibiotic treatment of both pets and humans.
If anyone asks about this problem, please try to make them understand that
any given animal (humans included) harbor salmonella, girardia, coccidia,
and other organisims in their bodies.  It is only when environmental
conditions allow the microorganisms to get out of control that the damage
occurs.  This includes stress and poor keeping of animals, as well as
general filth.
What gets me is the fact that nobody keeps track of the number of kids who
get sick off the lunch bars at schools.  30 people in 10 states get sick and
it becomes a witch hunt on pets.  No one ever tries to outlaw wilted lettuce
and lukewarm taco meat."
Yes, we are safe, but I fear a lot of little fuzzy pets won't be after this panic
hits. It's just common sense, like at the petting zoos. The animals are in
a crowded environment, they don't use t.p. or get to take showers, then
people take their little kids in who have to touch everything and put their
hands in their mouths.
One thing I will mention, that I read somewhere not long ago . . . these
little guys don't have tooth decay like people because they don't have the
bacteria in their mouths like humans. However, if we kiss them on the
mouths and feed them stuff we've been biting off of, we can transfer that
bacteria to them, causing them unnecessary problems. So now I worry
more about giving them germs than getting them! I just rub noses or
maybe kiss a ear (they're probably happier not to have the mouth of
someone much bigger than them looming in their face, anyway! ;-)  )

We all owe it to these little guys to educate 'the others'! This is an ongoing
campaign, just like monitoring pet store pets and re-homing those unfortunate
animals who end up in crowded barns or flying out windows, etc.
And we are up to it!
Susi and the Okie Piggies

“God could not be everywhere at once, so he gave each child a mother.” - Hasidic saying

“An ounce of mother is worth a ton of priest.” - Spanish proverb

“Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother.” - Lin Yü-tang