[Gpdd] Health : the vet's verdict

Alanna Brock alannalanglois at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 9 00:58:27 EDT 2005

Well, last week was a bit stressful for me and Zippy. On Sun evening I noticed some blood in Zippy's urine and called the emergency number for our vet, a very tired vet told me that as long as Zip was still eating and drinking I should call back in the morning. So I did and we decided to take her in for observation adn xrays on Thurs. Zippy thought she was going to my mom's house, where she is ultra spoiled, and was excited ubtil she realized where she was (LG - I knw they are smarter than we think they are, so excited and interested in your research).

Anyway, there weren't any stones or bladder sludge in the xrays so they asked to keep her overnight and do and endoscopy to see what was going on in there. It was hard not having her at home for the night! I walked in the door and expected to see her there waiting for me and all I got was an empty cage :(

Apparently the endoscopy was kind of rough, even for a heavily sedated pig, I get to see the video of the procedure on Fri when we go in for her recheck. They found a very inflamed bladder with crystals and flushed it out and put Zippy on some antibiotics, so hopefully those will clear everything up; the vet was pretty certain that that would take care of everything.

The endoscopy kind of tore Zippy up a little bit and she bled for about a day becasue of it, plus it hurt her when she wee'd and poo'd, she would make these pitiful crying noises, so I just wrapped her in a towel and held her all day. It was actually kind of funny at the vets because she was still woozy from the anasthesia and she was SO slow, very floppy.

But now she is a lot happier and it seems like everything will be fine, we're looking forward to a clean bill of health on Fri!

Zippy wants all of the piggies to stay healthy because sleeping at the vet's is no fun, it doesn't smell like home.

Alanna and the recovering Zippy