[Gpdd] [CARE] Male guinea pig companion?

Maren Fouts butzm at ece.osu.edu
Mon May 9 11:52:07 EDT 2005

First off, I would bet that chances are very good that Frosty will become
lonely and depressed.  It is a very good idea to get him a friend.

I suggest going to a shelter or a rescue to adopt a girl pig.  Males get
along much better with females plus you run less of a risk of them getting
along and then all of a sudden not being able to get along in the future.
If you go to a rescue or shelter this will serve 2 purposes.  Pet stores
are just bad places to get animals.  They usually are brought home sick.
In addition, some rescues and shelters spay and neuter all pigs before
adopting them out.  This way you don't have to worry about ending up with
more than one pig.  If this is not the case for your shelter you can have
the spay done by a competent exotics vet.

Hope this helps.  Good Luck!
Maren, Sam and Rosie