[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: biting article

ROYCE LARSON cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Wed May 11 20:06:53 EDT 2005

Susi,

     Thanks so much for the personal response and also thanks for the biting article. I hope everyone really took it to heart. I am convinced that all animals need to be taught the boundaries or it is a disservice to the owners and to the animals, just as the article stated! Teaching good manners isn't abusive; it shows love for the animal, teaching it how to get along in the world.
     Bud had a pretty good biting issue when I got him but I disciplined him consistently and always with the same punishment AS SOON AS the behavior started. The more immediate the punishment, the more quickly the animal will associate the behavior with the punishment. They learn quickly because no animal likes negative consequences! I gave Bud a little tap on the nose (very light) and said "No," in a stern voice. I did nothing that would in any way injure him. I just showed my displeasure. It took a while but he got the idea. Sometimes he gets grumpy now and has a 'relapse' but one little flick and a "No" always immediately does the trick.
     This consistent training makes live much more pleasant for owner and pet alike.

Carla and Well-behaved Bud