[Gpdd] Health: Bordetella

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 18:47:17 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Today has been a very busy day in the rescue! My little Wesley found a home this weekend and I got a couple new little boys. I picked up that little abused boy from the SE side of Michigan today. He is quite adorable and I think he will be just fine. He is still a baby! He is a bit high strung of course but I was cuddling with him today and he mellowed out pretty quickly. The trick is getting the little guy out of the cage!

Then there is Guiness who came to me today with a URI and is now in quarantine and on antibiotics. The interesting thing I found out today is that it is common for GPs to actually be infected with bordetella (aka kennel cough in dogs) and CAN transmit to dogs if they are not vaccinated. Of course you never know unless you get cultures done, but I thought I would pass along the info because I had no idea that that occurred. Of course poor Guinness doesn't know me and now I have to give the guy antibiotics. I feel so bad for him...

Also, I was contacted by someone in Toledo, OH who needs to find a home for her two GPs. I am in Kalamazoo, MI which is pretty far from Toledo so is there anyone out there from OH that knows of a rescue there or close by? I can forward the email to you if you have more information I can give her.

Thanks guys!
Lisa and the rapidly expanding gang at Wheeks and Squeaks

Wheeks and Squeaks Rodent Rescue
www.wheeksandsqueaks.petfinder.com
Finding permanent, loving homes for guinea pigs and degus