:[gpdd] care Re.cages

Shelly Leone shelly1260 at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 03:49:17 EDT 2005

Cages are as different as people are.You have to consider if you have other pets that you need to protect your guinea pigs from or not,you also need to know what you will use for bedding and if the guinea pigs live inside or outside..I have had guinea pigs for 5 years and have a number of cages.First I use towels for bedding so I don't have the mess of wood chips in the house.I started with a store bought cage for rabbits.I learned really fast that this was a no no.Guinea pigs feet should never be on wire mess.Then I tried a cage for guinea pigs.It was to small and very expensive.My next cage was homemade.I came across some closet shelving at a yard sale called closet maid.I took a piece of linoleum I had left over from my kitchen for the bottom,connected the four sides of the closet maids with those plastic zip strips and I had a cage for two pigs.When I want to clean it I just put the pigs in there carry case lift of the cage roll up the towels and I'm done.The shelving works good
 to hang water bottles on.I hope this helps.I hope you get lots of ideas for cages.Good luck.Shelly