[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Caring for Senior Boars

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Wed May 18 23:18:59 EDT 2005

I am so thankful that Sandy posted those wonderful instructions for senior
boar care. I printed them out and will keep them near at hand...I still have
5 adorable mature boars who will greatly benefit from the knowlege that she
very kindly shared.  Cinnamon had to be cleaned quite often, because he did
not move around as much as our other piggies and would often lay in one
spot, urinating where he lay and thus getting wet. I would rinse his tummy
and bottom and then soap him up with a gentle oatmeal shampoo. After rinsing
off the shampoo, I would extrude his penis and clean it with warm water.
When I first started doing this, he had quite a build-up of hardened mucus,
which actually fell off under the stream of warm water. He had to be
attended to at least every 2 weeks, so I guess his was a more extreme case.
However, I did not realize that he could have a build-up inside of his penis
and so I feel worse than ever about what happened to him. It is painful to
realize that perhaps, if I had known, he might still be with us today. I am
wiser now, but at such a high cost. A consoling thought is that as we share
our experiences and knowlege with each other, we are helping to make the
world a better place for our piggie friends.

Eternally grateful for our friends at GPDD,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals