[Gpdd] Re: Fuzzy and Water Drinking

Michelle Lazarus michelle.lazarus at jefferson.edu
Thu May 19 06:04:26 EDT 2005

Dear Jenna,
My first question is . . . did this excessive water drinking just start, or
has it been an ongoing trend?

I am certainly not an expert, but I from my own observations of my piggies
water drinking habits, I might have some insight (but there are people on
this forum that know much more)

First, please don't freak yet, b/c your piggie's behavior hasn't changed . .
.but if you answered "yes" to the question of whether the water intake has
recently increased for Fuzzy . . .it may be congestive heart failure.  One of
the symptoms that my Sydney was having before she passed, was excessive water
intake . . .and then she became lethargic and then she started have VERY
heavy breathing . . . like it was taking her whole body to breathe.

That being said . . .My new addition, Kayla, seemed to drink a lot more water
then my other GP, Ella.  Ella is much smaller then Kayla, but with the
experience of what happened with Syd, I started to worry.  Kayla would take a
sip of water after EVERY bite of food (she still does).  But, to my surprise
(and relief), Kayla was not just healthy, her water intake habits rubbed off
on Ella . . .and now they both like to drink water after every bite of their
pellets :)  I feel that the water intake increase in both of them is healthy
(cuase from what I have been reading it helps prevent kidney stones etc.)

I hope this helps!!!  And I am sure that more people on this digest will have
more sound information.  I have only taken care of 3 GP in my life.  I love
observing them, but I hardly think I have come to have a generalized idea of
"appropriate" behavavior.  My advice in these cases is always go to the vet
if you question it.  Cause GP deterioriate quickly and it will ease your
worried mind :)

good luck!-
michelle