[Gpdd] Misc: Deepest Condolences on Cinnamon

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 09:18:23 EDT 2005

Hi Sherry-
Thanks so much for sending the wonderful pigtures, I have saved them
both and they are now a part of my Webshots wallpaper/screensaver
program. I tried to add the one of Cinnamon and Wimpy together to
the OP's website but couldn't get it to work (will try again later),  but
I do have dear Cinnamon on there. I wanted to say something more
about him, but get a lump in my throat at such times . . . later.
My heart still breaks for Cinnamon and Hotshot and all the many,
many more who have gone on to the Bridge too soon. Of course we
wouldn't want to keep them here if only to suffer, but there has to
be something more that can come of all this. Not that suddenly these
two are more important than the multitude that have gone on before,
but it has to change somewhere.
I'm thinking that would be a good project for our new cavy club, to work
to promote not only awareness of the special needs of cavies, but also
to demand better medical care through ongoing education for our vets.
The good ones will want to improve, the others we don't care about.
But this is more than just one club can do, it will take all of us, even
beyond gpdd (!!!). Perhaps we can get someone like the esteemed
Peter Gurney on our side!  Let's all get our heads together on this.
We all owe it to Cinnamon and Hotshot and all the others.

Piggie hugs'n'kisses,
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy & CocoPuff, Lil' Whistle & Rosie, Buzzerre & Abe
HarleyPigg, Buster, Mac da Roanie, Lady Bugg & Bonnie
and the Boys from Peru, Jasper & Moose
okie-piggies.blinkz.com

sherry bevins <ssbjune9 at hotmail.com> wrote:Susi,

Thank you for thinking of Cinnamon and me...this has been such a painful few
days. I agree with you...vets should be trained to competently care for any
animal that is kept as a pet. It is a crime that guinea pigs can't get the
same quality of care from a veterinarian that a dog or cat gets. The vet
that saw Cinnamon on Sunday afternoon told me that she had never before
cathetarized a guinea pig. And this was the only help available for him...a
vet who had little experience with guinea pigs! Now I don't blame her for
anything...I believe that she did the best she could. But my gosh...my baby
was in agony and at this point I was willing to let him be put down rather
than go on suffering. And I wanted to question giving him the general
anesthesia...I wondered if the procedure could be performed using only local
anesthesia, but I didn't want her to think that I didn't trust her
judgement. And now I kick myself because when she brought him out to me he
looked more dead than alive, he was so drugged. Not only did he receive
anesthesia, but an opiate pain killer as well. My boy couldn't even raise
his head. I guess you can tell that I am hurting...I know what you mean by
what-ifs. And I am so upset with our vet...he has never returned my calls,
even just to check up on Cinnamon. I put in two frantic calls to his
answering service, explaining that I had an emergency. She said that if he
didn't call back in 5 minutes that I was to call the emergency vet
clinic...which I did. Of the two in our location, only one would treat a
guinea pig...and, of course, you know what happened there. And it cost more
than I paid for Cinnamon's bladder stone surgery by about $100.00. And they
want all the money up front...they will not work with you at all if you are
short of money...I had to borrow from a friend or my boy would have died in
agony at our home...and I would probably have lost my mind...what little I
have of one! It is a sad world that puts monetary gain above the sanctity of
life...any life, whether it be animal or human. How sad that a pricetag can
be put on a life. I am heartbroken, but also infuriated. And I really,
really miss my boy. I am going to try to send you a picture of him, but in
order to get a really good one, I had to scan one into my computer and it
unfortunately is not as good as the original. I am also sending one of him
with Wimpy, who passed away in April. They were cagemates.
Susi, I thank you for letting me vent a little of my frustration. I just
needed to talk with someone that I knew would understand.

Sadly,
Sherry and the Piggie Pals