[Gpdd] Behavior: Socializing Piggies

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 13:22:48 EDT 2005

Patricia-
Sounds like you're taking the right approach with your new babies. It takes a bit of
time for piggies to learn to trust us and relax, some more than others. Maybe some
sows are more high strung than boars, Snowy and CocoPuff are both so mellow
they just sit there and look at you when you reach in to pet them or pick them up
(then there are the odd times when I just move my hand a bit, or make a sudden
noise, and they 'stampede' and disappear!).
I think the key is the mother's influence. Babies learn so much from their mothers.
When raising horses I learned this - a good natured mare was worth more than
one with superior bloodlines if she had a bad temperment. Too bad the babies
couldn't have lived with their dad! Of course there will be exceptions, but I've seen
this with different sorts of animals. If you can just sit on the floor or ground with
them for a while and let them come to you for attention and treats, that will go a
long way. Lots of attention and love. And treats (Snowy insisted I add that).
Wheeks to the little ones! And piggie hugs'n'kisses all around.

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com