[Gpdd] Health: Re: Shilintong

Leah McNeil lconsuela at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 11:29:59 EDT 2005

Hi Nancy!
I was wondering if you could ask your Vet
how the Shilintong changes a guinea pig's
pH level in their urine (i.e. does the herb
make their urine more acidic or alkaline???).
I'm assuming she means the herb makes their
urine more acidic since our pigs have a
normal pH of about 9 (which is very alkaline).
But, I don't want to assume and I can't find
any information out there on the topic at
hand. But, she is correct in that there can
be dangers of trying to alter a g-pigs
urinary system. Although, I don't know for
sure if the Shilintong actually does that.

All I know is that the Shilintong has helped
keep my Brownie Bear stone-free for 1 year/5 months
now and it has also helped tons and tons of
other piggies (like Pepper, Spicey, Niles, etc.
etc. etc.). And I had a piggie that especially
was not a good candidate for surgery, I would
definitely at least try the herb. It's natural
and there are no ill side-effects.

Of course, if Mr. Rumpy has a UTI, I don't know
if the Shilintong would help it, unless it was
being caused by excess calcium crystals built
up in the urine (in which case the herb relaxes
the urethra and helps the crystals pass through).
I know that for Janelle's pigs, Pepper & Spicey,
the herb didn't didn't do much for a UTI.
Antibiotics are the most effective treatment for
a UTI. But, even though the Shilintong might not
help Mr. Rumpy's UTI, it certainly shouldn't hurt
him.

Please give Mr. Rumpy some Extra LOVE from
Brownie Bear, Butterscotch, and me and wheeeeee
hope that he is feeling better soon.

P.S. Jaime,
Shilintong is safe for our piggies since it is
a natural herb and if you're going to give it
to Albert once a wheeeek, I would crush up 2
tablets and mix it with water (or whatever you
want) and syringe it to him. The reason I would
do 2 tablets, instead of 1, is because if Albert
is anything like my Brownie Bear, then he will
spit some out and waste some. HEY! HEY! HEY! :-)

      Love 'n Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeps,
         Leah...Slave to Brownie Bear and
                           Butterscotch :-)

"Can someone shed some light on what my Vet said
about the Shilintong? She said that not to give it
to them because it changes their Ph. I'd never heard
of that before.

My Mr. Rumpy had a UTI and is still on his medicine.
I wanted to give him Shilintong but don't know how
much. Also I have never known that I needed to clean
his "private area"  but I read a posting just
yesterday that I'm supposed to be doing this. Mr.
Rumpy is probably about five years old and is one
tough pig."