[Gpdd] Health: Porgie's poop (IBS)

Cecelia furman ceceliafurman at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 17:33:36 EDT 2005

Hello Everyone,
Its been a wheek (tomarrow) and Sonic and Porgie continue to be getting
along, with only occasional chasing and a little bit of  'bothering', but no
agression. Poor little Porgie believes that I am out to get him- you can
almost hear him yell," Run Sonic, the cleaning woman is coming".

Problem is the little guy has loose poos.  Formed, but soft enough so that
they squish when the pigs run thru them, later to harden into little paddles
that make the pigs look like they are walking with snowshoes!  The hardening
happens pretty quickly- faster than I can keep up with it (In fact, we may
have invented a new 'green' building material!).  I don't mind the  cleaning
but I fear that Porgie and I are getting into a  pattern  where he fears
being cleaned and I reinforce his fear because he needs to be cleaned (feet
primarily but that requires soaking in water,which he tolerates but isn't
exactly joyous about. It is the catching him to do it that causes distress,
and distrust).

So... does anyone have any ideas that may help with soft poop?  I should add
that Porgie was considered a ‘special needs pig’ because of ‘irritable bowel
syndrome’.  The Rescue folk said they couldn’t find a medical basis, that
this occurs when he is upset. I'm hopefull that he'll  accept me and calm
down because today for the first time he didn't dart into a pigloo when I
passed the cage. But I think we could help the adjustment process if we
could firm things up!
Can anyone help us?
Celia, Sonic, & Porgie