[Gpdd] MISC - rex and teddy - what's the difference (if any)?

Andrew a.mills at portset.net
Wed May 25 13:04:00 EDT 2005

I was just wondering whether anyone here knows if there is any difference between a rex and a teddy?  I seem to be getting conflicting information from various sources.  At first I understood that they were called rex here in the UK and teddy in the USA.  However, some websites seem to be saying that they are actually two different breeds.  One website (can't remember which one) said that they are genetically slightly different but look very much the same.  Another site (www.centralpets.com) has both breeds listed with very slightly differing descriptions.  Peter Gurney says that a rex and teddy are the same thing, only they're called rex here in the UK and teddy in the USA.  Certainly the rexes I've had over the years have varied.  Some have had real stand-up, wire brush type coats whilst others seem to have quite a smooth coat but with the wiry feel of a rex.  Does anyone know the actual truth about this - I'd just be really curious to know.