[Gpdd] Health: Skinny pigs and poor sick Guinness

Lisa Choiniere lmchoiniere at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 09:23:13 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I tried the bread in milk idea that someone sent me in a personal email (thank you, but I deleted the email prematurely so I can not send a personal thank you!) and I gave it to my skinny pigs and they thought that was the shiznit! I did use Lactaid milk to prevent any sort of lactose intolerance resulting in diarrhea or gas.

However, my sick Guinness did not think it was all that fantastic. He did not even like the critical care which my skinny pigs also liked very much. I just made an order for some oat groats (thanks Lydia) and I will add that to their diet too. I ordered some grain hay from that site too just to give that a whirl.

Guinness worries me every day. I have had him for 11 days which means he has been on antibiotics for 11 days (5 days on Cipro, 6 days on SMZ) and he is STILL snorkelly. He has made some small improvements because I cannot hear him breathing from across the room anymore which makes me feel a bit better. He has nibbled on his orchard grass and eats a pellet here and there. He even ate a spinach leaf the other day and I nearly fainted with relief! I don't have an enormous amount of experience with upper respiratory infections in pigs. Most of my rescues have been quite healthy for which I am lucky. So anyone who can share their URI experiences with me to make me feel better, I would appreciate it.

Has anyone ever used homeopathics or anything for infection?

Thanks for your help and thoughts for Guinness.

Lisa (the very worried rescuer) and my gang here at Wheeks and Squeaks