[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Reese is gone

Audrey Binder agbmcmd at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 10:11:15 EST 2005

It is with a broken heart that I must tell my GPDD friends that my beloved Reese passed away over the weekend.  I started to write this yesterday, but I was too upset to finish it.  He was my beautiful recycled baby, who came into my life and my heart by accident when someone unkindly dumped him in the woods behind my house 3 years ago and left him there to die.  I was not expecting or looking for a guinea pig, and I knew absolutely nothing about them.  He was a fully grown adult, so I don't know how old he was.  It was late September/early October 2002, and it took me a full week to catch him.  I finally trapped him with the aid of my recycle box and several neighborhood kids.  I brought him into my house and looked for the owner over the next week.  When his owner was never found, he was already a part of my life.  I named him Reese, for Recycled Guinea Pig (I'm a biologist), and he became my child.  I have no children, and no other pets.  Over the past 3 years, he was my constant
 companion, and I could not have loved anything or anyone more.

He was an "only pig", and he loved people.  He particularly loved his human grandparents, and we visited them every week.  They are elderly and always made a big fuss over him, and he loved it.  He always gave them a card and gifts on Mother's Day, Father's Day, and on their birthdays, and they watched him when I went out of town.  Reese went on vacations with us, where I always had to sneak him into the hotel or condo we stayed in, and he loved being a part of my family.  He loved grapes, and we had a "late night snack" of grapes every night.  He would stand up in his cage and tell me it was time for his treat.  He loved music, and I always left the radio on for him, with his favorite "smooth jazz" station.  We had "quality-time" every day, and he liked to be put on his back and have his little tummy rubbed.

He was fine and happy when I left for work on Friday, but when I got home, he was quiet and would not eat his dinner.  I moved his cage upstairs to my bedroom, next to my bed, and held him until late in the night.  Somewhere around 3 or 4 in the morning I heard him ring the toy in his cage that has a bell.  I believe he was trying to wake me up to say goodbye.  I brought him to the vet, as soon as they opened that morning, but he was gone.  I buried him on Sunday in the backyard, by the woods were I found him 3 years ago.  His Grandparents came over and we all said  goodbye and cried.

I miss him terribly and am still crying.  I know that he could not have been loved more, and his life with me was happy.  He gave me more joy than he ever knew, and he will be in my heart always.  I am still amazed at how he ended up with me, but I guess it was just meant to be.

I am sorry this is so long, but I just needed to do this.  I know you will all understand.  Goodbye my baby, I will miss you always.

Audrey, broken-hearted slave to Reese, the Recycled GP