[Gpdd] Health: Guinea Pig Lice

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 19:42:50 EST 2005

Dear Megan -- Re guinea pig lice --

When I brought my dear Nani Alice home for the first time I belatedly
noticed white things sticking to her fur, which turned out to be lice eggs.
My vet identified them by looking at them under a microscope.  He told me
that lice tend to be specific to species.  So, if your guinea pig does
indeed have lice they probably did come from the pet store and not from
cats. I forget the name of the medication prescribed by my veterinarian, but
it was a brand commonly used for cats and dogs for fleas and other pests
except in MUCH SMALLER amounts.  He admitted that the medication had NOT
been "approved" for guinea pigs, but that in his community of vets it had
often been used and worked well.  I used it with Nani, and because she
shared a home with another pig I had to give it to him as well.  I was also
told to keep the cage extra clean, changing bedding more frequently than
usual during this time.  The medication worked, there were no side effects
that I could see, and several months later both piggies are lice free.  I
never saw the lice though -- just the eggs.  So you will probably have to
have your vet look at them to confirm what the crawling things are.  But
just to let you know that if they are lice there is treatment that is not so
hard on the piggies and works well.