[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Corn Silk

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Tue Nov 15 22:56:29 EST 2005

I can only give anecdotal information on the use. My guinea pig Emily
had cystic and enlarged kidneys. I read corn silk was good for kidney
ailments and gave it to her for several years, almost everyday, along
with husks. It was fresh from corn on the cob. She lived a full happy
life, I think much to her vet's surprise. I've read that it is a
diuretic. Corn husk and silk may be beneficial but the corn niblets
are high in sugars and therefore should only be given to them
occasionally, if at all.  With Phoebe, I give her the silk and husk
but because she may be diabetic or borderline, I avoid giving her the
corn on the cob.  Again, any information here is anecdotal and should
be checked out.  They do love the silk though. It's like a treat.