[Gpdd] [ BEHAVIOR ] dumping pellets

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 25 19:07:14 EST 2005

Greetings!

Our Lucky does this same thing each time I put the food in his dish. He
seems to enjoy turning that dish over and digging through his pellets. He
does seem to eventually eat them all, or most of them, before the next day.
However, I finally decided to attach a feeder bin to the side of his cage.
He kept trying to dig way down to the bottom of the bin, and in doing so
kept choking himself on the edge of it.  I kept hearing this coughing sound
coming from one of the piggies, and so, alarmed, I went about trying to
discover which of our 13 piggies was doing it. When I got to Lucky's cage,
there he was with his face buried up to his eyes in pellets with the edge of
the feeder bin pressing against his throat. He kept making himself cough as
he was pushing his head as far as he possibly could into the feeder bin! I
think he really wanted to turn it over if he could, but that bin wouldn't
budge. He wasn't eating the food either...he was just doing his best to get
it out of that bin and onto the cage floor! And since he is the only one of
my piggies that does this, I think I'll let him have his bowl back. I
wouldn't want him to hurt himself on the feeder bin!

Warmly,
Sherry and a frustrated Lucky

By the way, all of my other piggies have done really well with the feeder
bins. I got ours at Superpetz.