[Gpdd] [MISC] Feeder bins

sherry bevins ssbjune9 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:09:19 EST 2005

Greetings!

About the feeder bins...I can always tell how much a piggie has eaten
because the food doesn't run out of the bin part until most of the food has
been removed from the bowl and then only with a little prodding. It doesn't
remain full at all times. Even when Lucky pushed most of his food out, the
bowl did not fill to the top with food. I began purchasing feeder bins
because there seemed to be alot of dust in some of the pellets that my
piggies have had over the years. There are little holes in the bottom of the
dish part through which you can sift out much of the dust. That was my main
purpose in buying them to begin with. I seldom ever fill the bin with enough
food for five days, because somehow these little guys can still get poo,
shavings, etc. into the food, so I still change them every day. I also
thought that maybe having the feeders would cut down on some of the
contamination of the food with poo, etc., but, alas, it has not. So, like
all things, the feeder bins have their drawbacks, but overall, they have
worked for us. I've never had a piggie get his /her head stuck in one, not
to say that it couldn't happen somehow, but after looking carefully at the
bins construction, I'm not sure how they could. They do like to chew on
them, so some of ours look rather the worse for wear. Even so, I haven't
noticed any sharp edges that a piggie could get cut on. I think I may have
been misunderstood when I wrote about Lucky's experience with his bin...he
didn't get his head stuck, he just was trying so hard to reach to the bottom
of the bowl that the pressure on his little neck against the edge of the
bowl would cause him to cough...I guess I shouldn't have used the word
"choke". He was not hurt in any way. I was just amazed at his determination!

Respectfully,
Sherry and the piggie pals