[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] Thanks to all

Diana diana_barbour at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:40:17 EST 2005

I haven't posted much just lately, so sorry about that.  I want to thank everyone who offered their kind help and advice with my piggie Lucy Sophie Cavy-Piggie and her biting...some of you I have thanked off-post already, but I wanted to be sure I didn't miss anyone.

It turned out that all I needed was to learn the proper method of carrying Her Worshipful Piggieness.  With the properly reverent attitude, after an appropriate greeting and stroking of the head, I must clasp the piggie gently but firmly behind her front legs with one hand, while cupping the back legs and rear in the other.  Then, careful to maintain the reverent attitude appropriate to the handling of such a beautiful creature, I must lift her gently out of the Piggie Penthouse, then hold her with her back against my chest, as if she were in one of those baby carriers.  As long as I follow this procedure, she is perfectly happy to be carried around everywhere, and I haven't been bitten since I figured it out.

But I have to tell you all what happened when I started pulling gently on the back of her neck when she bit me as advised...it worked like a charm for a few days.  Then, one day, when she had been sitting on my lap for awhile, she reached over and grabbed my arm with her teeth and pulled...not like she was trying to rip my skin off, but just like she was imitating the way that I was pulling the back of her neck!  So I put her back in her house and gave her a treat.  And now, she pulls very gently on me or my clothing when she is ready to go back home after visiting with us, and we have had only one little pee puddle since (and that was our fault because we did not listen when she pulled)!

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone!   Lucy thanks you as well...

Diana