[Gpdd] [health] Update on Lotje

Mikey pandameisje at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 05:34:22 EST 2005

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on Lotje and her fur.
She got us quite worried, because she still has the bold spot on
her back and seems to be biting herself more. She does not have
little wounds on her back anymore, but I noticed little white things in her
fur.
There were not moving or so it could also just be flakes or skin.
Anyway to be sure Lotje would not have to endure more mites or other
creepy crawlies we took her and guiny to the vet yesterday evening.
We had never been to the vet were we live right now, but we chose one that
is very near to our house, which is convenient and lot is not in a life
threatening state which demand super specialized care. And we just don't
know what they know about piggies.
My sister called to make an appointment, and she said they asked good
questions,
like if Lotje lost weight.
Yesterday evening, my sister Janneke, my brother (who was visiting) and me,
including
Lotje and Guiny went to the vet. The vet was really nice, with some tape he
got some
 skin tissue of Lot's back and examined it under the microscope. He said it
looked fine
he could not really find anything, but dead mites.
It could just be Lot is still biting because it itched when it was healing,
and maybe out
 of habit or like some tick (don't know if that is the right english word,
but i mean something
she does obsessively). So he advised us to put some aftershave or eau de
cologne on the
spot so that she will not bite since it tastes bitter.
After that he checked Lot's teeth, they looked fine. I'm really happy about
that, because
my boar Winky used to have a lot of teethproblems. at one time his molars
grew almost
across his tongue like a bridge, and of course he could not eat at that
time.
He cut some of her frontpaw nails. And both Lotje and Guiny were weighed.
they both weigh
1150 grammes. He also checked Guiny's fur and said she also had the dead
mites. He said
Guiyn was a really pretty piggie, I just feel so proud when people say that
about my pigs.
We were also allowed to ask other questions, i asked him about Lot her sort
of extra skin on
the foot soles, it just seems like pretty hard thick skin like they have on
the soles. We could just
cut that of like nails but not to short.
My sister asked about a certain disease her newest pig which is a satin pg
can get,
in dutch its called 'Osteodystrofie', i guess in english it would be
Osteodystrophy
or something like that. Does anyone know that?
the vet told us he did not know the disease but he would definetly try to
find out more about it,
so that if we would come in with that some time in the future he would be
prepared.

Anyway, I'm glad lotje is actually fine, it just needs time to let the hair
grow back, if
she will allow it by not biting there.

The winky girls want to say 'hi' to Butterscotch. they really liked he told
them they were cute.
They're still giggling about it...

Mikey, slave to Lotje and Guiny, Auntie slave to Suus and Yaya

Mpstaaks at emxn.com
pandameisje at gmail.com
pandameisje at hotmail.com
m.staaks at obeindhoven.nl