[Gpdd] HEALTH: piggies thumping

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Wed Nov 30 20:49:46 EST 2005

I knew that rabbits thumped when upset or sensing danger, but I had never
heard a piggie thumping -- until the other night.

My husband and I (and Sunshine and Tumbleweed) traveled out of town after
Thanksgiving and stayed at a pet-friendly hotel.  On our last night there,
we were awakened at 5 a.m. by Tumbleweed thumping and running wildly around
his cage.  We thought that perhaps he had "cabin fever," so we got him out
of the cage, and my husband held him on his lap.  As soon as Tumbleweed
returned to his cage, however, his thumping and mad dashes began
again.  This went on for about an hour, with us guessing various things --
does Tumbleweed want more light, less light?  Is he hungry (not
likely!)?  Is he bored?  And so on.

Finally my husband said he thought Tumbleweed might have gas, so I got him
back out of the cage and massaged his tummy.  He arched up for me to reach
his stomach more readily, and he began a soft cooing, like, "Oh, that feels
so good."  I continued for about ten minutes.  When I returned him to his
cage, he began eating hay and drinking water and then rested quietly in a
corner.

Later that morning, we saw Sunshine sitting across Tumbleweed, as if
comforting him, putting pressure on his tummy, or just making sure he was
all right.  It was very touching to see Sunshine taking care of his "little
brother."

So I just wanted to alert everyone that a piggie thumping can be an
indication of illness.  I had no idea!

Fortunately Tumbleweed was back to his old self as soon as I rubbed his
tummy,  although of course we have continued to monitor him closely.  We
restricted his greens for the first day, but he is now back to his normal
diet and is having no difficulties.

Hope this will be of help to someone in the future.

Cindy, Sunshine, and Tumbleweed