[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Popcorning... finally!

Maren Fouts butzm at ece.osu.edu
Mon Oct 3 12:49:34 EDT 2005

Gretchen,

My first guinea pig, Sam, was similarly shy.  I got him first so he was an
only pig.  I also got him when he was very sick.  Well, it took him about
2 months or more to come around.  At first, I had him in a small cage
(that's all my temporary apartment would allow).  Fortunately, he was only
in that for about a month and was still a baby, so that helped.  Once I
got him into a C&C cage and started giving him lots of floor time, his
personality really developed!  Now he popcorns all the time.  Sometimes he
gets REALLY excited and jumps up and while in mid-air shakes his entire
body.  He looks like a bucking bronco.

The second pig we got, Rosie, was so Sam would have a friend.  He was
getting depressed being alone a lot.  Anyway, it took her some time to
even decided that I wasn't going to eat her when I came over to the cage.
Now, finally, she makes happy piggy noises when we hold her.  We have had
her for about a year now (almost to the day) and I have NEVER seen her
popcorn.  I suspect it's not in her personality.  She does get excited and
runs around a lot and is a VERY curious piggy.

Glad to hear you've made progress with Wilber.  Keep it up!
Maren, Sam, and Rosie