[Gpdd] CARE: Dog food OK for Piggies?

Karen Murphy klynnem at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 9 01:58:22 EDT 2005

Hi Susanna.  Since I don't know your private email address, I thought I'd try getting this to you on the list.

About your question of dog food being ok for piggies, my strong instinct is "NO."  I would not think food with animal products and meat would be suitable for an herbivore's system.

Your piggie is probably attracted to the dog food due to all the cereals, starches, fillers, and even beet sugars they put in it.  Particularly, a lot of the new food formulas marketed as "Large Breed" formulas contain excessive amounts of rice, corn, wheat, and other grains and cereals.  I have even seen some brands using potatoes now!

So, just like kids, my feeling here is this is junk food which might even harm her--and you must set the limit, even if it is so hard to ignore that cute begging face!  And the wheeks, of course.

Karen, Meekly, and Vivian