[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Very Itchy Piggy

Kareta, Pam karetap at classic-co.com
Mon Oct 10 15:06:58 EDT 2005

Hi, I only wrote in one other time, and I'm new to this forum.  I thought it would be a website with links so you could trace the responses and replies to each email, but instead it looks like I just get a ton of emails into my yahoo account with the prefix GPDD in front...is that how it works for everyone?  Please post a reply back to everyone on this website, or please email me at:  smiley943 at yahoo.com.  Last time I got some emails at my work account and I don't think everyone could see the responses. Anyways, I would like to ask a question about my guinea pig again, his name is Snuggles.  He is about 3 or more years old and all white with red eyes.  He itches a lot.  I have taken him to the vet a couple of times, and he's had shots of Ivermectin (sp) but it never seems to help.  I give him baths every so often with water only, no shampoos or anything to aggravate his skin, he has care fresh bedding, he eats pellets, his cage is cleaned once every 5 days with white distilled vinegar to counteract with the urine and he eats veggies, usually only carrots (no waxy cucumbers), he gets fresh water daily and a human vitamin C table of 500 mg. What could be wrong?  I've spent more money on Snuggles than I ever did my cat, Angel.?  I don't want to keep taking him to the vet, because it's outrageous and it doesn't help.  Last night I put Mayonnaise on his skin = because I thought that I read somewhere that the condiment would suffocate any fleas or mites he may have.  I don't know if it's a skin allergy, food allergy...I've tried to give him children's Bennadryl, but nothing works.  I'm running out of ideas and it's killing me to watch him scratch so much, it looks painful.  He had crusty spots on the back of him in the middle and towards his hind legs.  Does anyone have any ideas?  The vet did a hair test from the area and the results came back negative - he did not have any fleas.  I've also tried the guinea pig spray on itching stuff from the store, sorry don't know the exact name (I'm writing from work).  Anyways, any thoughts on this issue would be greatly appreciated by my little silent friend, Snuggles and me, Smiley.  Thanks in advance!  Also, if you are a vet, please let me know that too if you write.  =)