[Gpdd] Misc: Sitters and Warmers and such

Susi Eastin susiathome at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 07:55:04 EDT 2005

Hi Y'all~
Forgive me for dropping out for a time - we finally got our computer
up and going at home (fingers and paws crossed!), but now I'm
working and the drive has become up to 1 hr each way, so that
cuts into my online time (can't take away from 'pig time'!).
Anyway- I'm trying to get caught up here, and just read the latest
one first --
Poor Snuggles - could indeed be a fungal thing, the Selsun Blue
(or Head n Shoulders, they all have an ingredient that helps with
such things) should certainly help, taking care, of course, not to
wash too often, be sure to rinse well, be careful not to overdry.
Depending on how that works there are other topical treatments,
the aloe will certainly help with healing.
Glad the pig on ebay got stopped. As we were busy with our
Hospitality Booth at the rabbit show at the Tulsa State Fair last
week, we had a lady call us, (ready for this?) wanting to buy up
a quantity of guinea pigs for a ring toss game!  I asked her if they
were tossing the pigs - she assured me they weren't tossed, but
were the prizes.  I told her I couldn't help her, but gave her a
friend's number. Sure enough, when she called Felicia, she got
an earfull. It caught me off guard, I had pictured birthday parties
and such, like the mom who dresses up in a clown costume.
Still not good. I tried calling her back to inform her she shouldn't
be using ANY live animals, but no answer.
Esteban-
No luck accessing your website - I'll wait a day or so and try it
again. Sometimes it seems to take a while for everything to
work smoothly. (ask me about my phone and internet connections!)
Jessica-
Good luck with your sitter search. As Texans, you're our neighbors,
and we like to help our neighbors. However, I'm afraid it would be
just too confusing for me - my grandaughter is Jessica, and I'm
afraid you must have some of my piggies . . . Coco (aka Elvis),
Rosie, Harley . . .   ;-)    Really, though, there are a lot of really
great folk out there, I'm sure you'll find someone to help. If not,
let us know again, and we can send out inquiries to other friends
not on gpdd.
Marie-
I realize I missed something here, being so behind in reading the
digest. What did you mean by pig warmers?  The 'Cavy Cozies'?
You can buy them online (Cavy Madness, I believe), or make
them yourself. I've made many, giving many as piggie presents.
Also, a good friend of mine has a huge supply of them. Her husband
was attacked by a bear a year ago and nearly killed. He is still
undergoing treatments and spending a great deal of time in the
hospital. That's where he learned to keep busy by making them!
Yes, HE makes them, and I have some - they are very nice, and
in a variety of fabrics and colors. I don't what they would charge,
we had discussed advertising them at our cavy shows. If anyone
is interested I will share her email address.
There are also warmers sold for rabbits' nest boxes, I believe they
are electric, and you can find them in catalogs from the various
rabbit supply dealers. Of course, something like that would have
to be kept out of the piggies' reach, so they couldn't chew on them
or get burned, etc. Check Da-Mar, Bass Equipment, Fry's Equipment,
Rabbit Central, Rabbit Stop, Woody's Wabbits - there are a couple
I like, but can't find them right now.
But in my search, I found 'Pet Market' - don't know if they have the
heaters, but on the page with the rabbit cages and hutches, they
show one that says 'great for rabbits or guinea pigs' - and, of course,
it has a wire bottom. I tried to contact them immediately to ask them
to take that off, to be sure they understand that pigs can't be on wire
bottoms, but couldn't connect. Will some of you try to contact them?
http://store.yahoo.com/petmarket/cagandcon.html
I hate to think of some poor little pig breaking a leg (or worse) because
of ignorance. They have enough to deal with in their tiny worlds.
Gotta run -
We're still here!
Susi and the Okie Piggies
Snowy and CocoPuff, Rosie & Harley Pigg,
Buster, Potsy, Mr Dash, Bonnie, Buzzerre
Bullett, Baby Dash, Curly T. Bear, Dalia
Moose & Jasper (the Boys from Peru)
and the babies (Spanky & Darla, & the Stripes)
(and now I gotta run feed them all!)

Susi and the Okie Piggies
okie-piggies.blinkz.com