[Gpdd] HEALTH: My guinea pig has cancer - can anyone help or give advice?

JOHN CHRISTIAN suzjo at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 14 08:20:48 EDT 2005

Hi,

My guinea pig,Nellie has been diagnosed with cancer (large cell, high grade, lymphoma (lymphasarcoma) from some lymph node biopsies. Apparently it is extremely rare for guineas to get cancer, so I was hoping that someone on the GPDD may have been in a similar situation or be able to give some advice.

I have also been told that my other guinea, Doris is potentially at risk as there is a retrovirus (type c oncovirus group) - bit like feline leukaemia, which causes cancer. For now, I have decided to keep them together as they are inseparable and would both be unhappy being apart.

I have been told that she will live four weeks with no treatment, or 12 weeks if she has steroids (or chemotherapy). The vet didn't advise chemo, so I have got a choice of daily, every 4 days, or a 4-6 week steriod injection.

I have decided to go for the 4-6 week injection, so she is not constantly going to the vets.

I am taking her for a second opinion next week, but it looks very likely that the diagnosis is correct.

I am also syringe feeding her Supa Guinea Excel 'slurry', water and Protextin (probiotic). She is eating the odd bit of hay and veg by herself, but not enough, and not touching the water bottle by herself either.

I'm trying to tempt her with tasty treats and veg etc, and basically making sure that she is comfortable.

Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Suzanne