[Gpdd] Health: Have you ever had an Aby change color and have an eternal "cold"? Companion has disappearing scrotum and cancer.

Genealogy/vonville/Cavy pigs/Ahnenvorschung vonville at mstar2.net
Tue Oct 18 22:42:17 EDT 2005

Seriously!  Zoram was the blondest blond Abyssinian we've ever had, now he is dark gray. He was blond blond for about 3 1/2 years and now is almost 5.  Also, his skin is quite itchy when touched (no mites) and he has an eternal/1 1/2 year long "cold" (lungs "ticky" sometimes, one eye always is gunking up, nose crusty) which Benadryl just treats the symptoms. Yes, have done the Vet thing, antibiotic routine, herbs and changed the bedding several times. Antibiotics just bought a little time but, not a cure.  I've had hundreds of pigs but, have never had an Aby change color or not been able to get rid of a "cold."  Believe it or not, cedar is the only bedding where he has less symptoms (lungs less affected, wierd but, true!) The eyes and cakey nose just won't "get cured."  Yes, have had Peruvians, etc. turn lighter and grayer as they age but, none have ever totally changed color!

He is with the same companion for years.  Melchezidec, also an Aby and about 4 1/2, has had absolutely no "cold" symptoms whatsoever but, a totally different set of problems!  His scrotum shrunk and almost totally disappeared for a year, now he has "cancer" in one of his nipples with a definite growth which is gaining size.  Reddish serum comes out if the nipple, which is "full", is squeezed.  His scrotum started "coming back" about 6 months ago as did his energy; and, now is starting to shrink again.  Have visted Vet before but, he is currently on no meds.

Any suggestions?  Thank you!

[This site is great with experienced people.  It has been quite a delight for me and I feel among "peers"!  Wish I had discovered it long ago!  THANK YOU!]